Pages

Monday 22 August 2011

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I moved to Forks about a month before I turned seventeen. Having lived in Arizona for the last few years, to say it was a culture shock was an understatement. It rained a lot, there was nothing to do and everybody knew everybody and all their business. It was not my kind of place at all. The icing on the cake, Charlie, my dad who I barely knew, was the police chief. I vowed to myself that I was getting out of Forks the minute I graduated, and until then I'd keep my head down and do my time.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a punishment that I was here, I made the decision myself to come and live here. My mom married a younger guy, she loves him very much, so much, in fact, that she can't see that he is a major asshole. He never put his hands on me, but he implied more than once that his interest in me went beyond that of a normal step-parent relationship. So I hot-footed it out of Phoenix and came to live with my dad.

The first month after I arrived I hung out around the house, unpacked my stuff, got comfortable, and waited for school to start. My dad and I didn't talk much but we got along, he worked long hours and I was happy to stay out of trouble and keep house. I did the cooking and the cleaning and spent a lot of time wandering the woods behind the house, being at one with nature and all that crap, mainly I was bored out of my mind and missing my old friends.

My dad introduced me to Jacob, he had recently joined the force and was my dad's new protégée. My father adored him, it was borderline creepy. However, I soon grew to love him, in a brotherly kind of way of course. He had an irresistible smile that made you happy just by looking at it. Jake was good fun, he was a few years older than me, but he had a boyish sense of humour and didn't seem to mind simply hanging out with me. He dished the gossip on all the kids that were likely to be in my classes. They all sounded really dull, but I figured I was pretty dull myself so I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and make my own mind up about them as and when I met them.

I was the talk of the school for the first two weeks, and it was difficult to ignore the constant staring, but I reminded myself constantly that I just had to make it through the next two years and then I was free, off to college, hopefully somewhere far from Forks and far, far from Phoenix, I'm thinking the East Coast or Alaska. Anywhere the parents won't be able to visit often.

I made a few friends, Angela, a girl I actually genuinely liked and her friends Lauren and Jessica who I wasn't so keen on, but tolerated. Mike Newton, all around American boy, annoyingly sweet and kind, took an instant shine to me and I put up with him because it seemed to make things easier. By Christmas I had carved myself a nice little niche at Forks High and was content to sit back and let the time pass until I made my escape. It was easy, not fulfilling by any means, but I accepted that this would be how it was until graduation.

Dad was happy I was concentrating on my studies and taking my future seriously. Jake thought it was great that I had made friends at school, although he still spent a lot of time at the house. And that was me, good girl Bella Swan, always doing what was expected. I didn't feel like my life had started yet, I had spent the last few years taking care of my flighty mother and now I was pretty much doing the same for my dad. I couldn't wait to get to college and really begin living, to start experiencing things for myself.

As I counted down the months, I felt obliged to spend more time with Mike, I even went to the Valentine's day dance with him and we hung out alone, but that was as far as I was willing to go. Sure, Mike was cute in a generic boy next door kind of way, but he certainly wasn't the boy for me. I think he considered me his girlfriend, although we'd never actually spoken about it, and I hadn't made out with him or anything.
I wasn't looking for a boyfriend, I didn't want one, I couldn't risk getting attached to anyone. Nothing was going to stand in the way of me getting out of Forks. Mike served a purpose, it kept the rest of the boys at school away from me because they assumed I was taken and that suited me down to the ground, plus my dad and Jake thought Mike was a 'nice boy' who they trusted to keep me safe, which meant I was able to do as I pleased most of the time.

I thought I had it all sussed, my life was mapped out, and I was bang on course. Boys, lust, fun, love, excitement, life in general could wait. But nothing is ever that simple, there's always something or someone that throws a spanner in the works and despite all your best laid plans, everything you ever thought you wanted changes in the blink of an eye.

For me it happened the second time I met Edward Cullen.

The first time I met Edward Cullen I was out with Mike. School was almost out for summer and I was surprised by how quick time seemed to have gone. I only had a little over a year before I could leave the dreary town of Forks behind.

We were sitting in a booth at the diner, the only place there was to go in Forks, and where I spent most Friday nights, trying to fend off Mike's attempts to grope me. I still hadn't kissed him, but he didn't seem to mind. I was sipping on a milkshake, Mike was sat next to me, talking about his new car, which wasn't new and looked like a pile of crap to me, but he was pleased with it, so I feigned interest. He'd been somewhat preoccupied the last couple of months but I didn't care enough to ask him why.

He seemed happy, so when I saw him tense up, I looked at him confused, his face had paled and he looked like he might puke. I moved as far away from him as possible because there was no way I was getting puke on my new jeans. Sorry, but they cost me a whole months allowance. Mike was staring at a guy and a girl who had just walked in. They were looking around and as they spotted us they made their way over to our table.

Mike gulped and I was about to question him when they fell into the seat opposite us.

"Newt." The boy nodded at Mike, he didn't look any older than us, but he was fine, like, way out of my league fine, curly blond hair and a handsome face, the girl smiled at me, she was stunning, young looking, she had short dark hair and flawless pale skin, she was tiny. I stared at them both, perplexed by Mike's reaction to them. They seemed perfectly normal, but Mike looked really frightened of them. I'd never seen them around before, so I figured they were from out of town.

"Jasper, Alice..good to see you. This is Bella." Mike stammered out as he gestured to me.

"Hi." The girl, Alice I presume, said.

"Um, hi." I half waved and she smiled brightly, her blue eyes shining.

"You got it?" Jasper asked Mike.

"No, tomorrow, I promise, first thing tomorrow." Mike rushed out, he was shaking and I wondered what his problem was.

"You said that yesterday." Jasper leaned towards him.

"I know man, but something came up, tomorrow though, no problem."

Alice sighed, she picked up her phone and called someone, this whole exchange was weird if you asked me. "E" she said as someone answered. "Nope…., diner." She hung up her phone and glared at Mike, it was comical watching him cower to this girl who was so little. "E's on his way." She stated.

"Um, we were just leaving." Mike swallowed noisily.

"Well now you're not." Jasper shrugged. "So Bella, are you new in town?" He smiled kindly.

"I moved here last summer. So not that new."

"Her dad is Chief Swan." Mike almost shouted at them.

"Is that so." Jasper smirked.

Alice smiled but said nothing.

"So, do you guy's live around here? You don't go to Forks High." I said after the silence around the table became uncomfortable.

Mike nudged me, and gave me a look, but I had no idea what he was trying to convey so I ignored him.

"We live on the outskirts of town. Alice goes to St Martha's in Seattle, she's home for the summer. I graduated last year." He threw his arm around her and she leaned into him so he could kiss her forehead.

"You a junior?" I asked her and she nodded, she was obviously a girl of few words.

"Um Bella, you might want to head out, um, can you walk home? I'll call you tomorrow." Mike said to me glancing at his watch. It wasn't late and I wouldn't run into any trouble on the streets of Forks, but Mike always dropped me home.

"Now, now, Newt. You're not gonna make your girl walk home are you?" Jasper asked. I didn't understand what was going on but I was over it, so I stood up.

"Jasper, Alice, it was nice to meet you." I said as I grabbed my bag and nudged Mike so he would move out of the booth. "See you tomorrow." I told Mike as he stood up to let me out.

"Ok babe, sorry about this." He kissed my cheek as I tried not to cringe away from him.

"Whatever." I waved him away and threw my backpack over my shoulder. I froze in place as I looked up. The diner door opened and in came what I can only describe as a walking God. Holy crap! I thought Jasper was fine, but this guy, Jesus Christ, he looked like he was fresh off one of those oil paintings they make you study in Art History. I've been here nearly a year and had no idea Forks was hiding such gorgeous men.

He caught me staring, open mouthed at him and he smiled a crooked smile that caused my heart to beat faster in my chest. He was pale like Alice, flawless as well. He had vivid green eyes that stood out, even from the distance I was away. His hair was a bronze kind of colour, it was messy, sticking out all over the place, but it worked well for him.

I tried to reign in my blatant ogling, but then I noticed what he was wearing, dark blue jeans and white button down shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows showing off his muscled forearms, and the top buttons undone to show a bit of his chest. I was a lost cause.

"Bella, go, please." Mike whispered urgently to me, as the bronze haired God started to walk in our direction.

"Newt." He nodded, as he got to our table, his voice a deep baritone that sounded like smooth velvet. "Princess." He addressed me, taking my hand and kissing the back of it.

My legs gave out and I sat back down while Mike continued to stand.

"Look E, let's take this outside shall we."

"Is this motherfucker sure? He's not seriously telling me what to do is he?" The Adonis who was apparently E asked, looking at Jasper who just shrugged.

"No!" Mike cried, "It's just, um, you know." He nodded at me.

'E' turned to stare at me, he looked me over appraisingly and I knew I was blushing. "You fucking the Newt?" he asked bluntly.

"No." I scoffed and he laughed loudly. He was beautiful and laughing made him more so.

"You should go." Mike said under his breath.

I ignored him, I was intrigued by what had Mike so worried and if I'm honest, spending a bit of time watching 'E' wouldn't hurt either. 'E' put his hand on Mikes shoulder and he crumpled into the seat as I scooted over.

"No one needs to go anywhere Newt, we'll hang out, shoot the shit, I'm fucking starving." he said, sitting down next to Jasper and waving the waitress over.

She rushed over and smiled flirtatiously. E asked if anyone wanted anything and Alice ordered a milkshake, Mike declined on both our behalves giving me another odd look.

"So, what's the problem Newt?" E asked him, leaning back in his chair and stretching his long legs out the side of the table. "I gave you plenty of time and you're gonna tell me you don't have my money. I know those fuckheads paid up, so I don't get it?" he said calmly, looking relaxed and comfortable while Mike looked scared stupid.

"It's just a cash flow problem, no biggie, I'll have it tomorrow."

"And I'm gonna take your word for it, when you promised Jazz the same thing yesterday?" he arched his eyebrow, while I looked on in confusion. Alice and Jasper were ignoring what was going on around them and seemed lost in their own little world.

Mike remained silent while 'E' stared at him. There was a weird vibe at the table now. I jumped a little when Jasper spoke. "I'm taking Alice home, if you need me, call." He said before turning to me. "You want a ride?"

"Um, no, I'm good here, thanks." I said, hoping I was. I didn't know what was going on but I planned on finding out.

'E' looked at me again and nodded slowly. He stood to let them out of the booth, patting Jasper on the back and kissing Alice on the cheek before he sat back down and returned to staring at Mike.

The waitress bought over his food and placed it on the table. 'E' winked at her and she giggled, I felt myself getting a little jealous. I looked to Mike who was still as a statue, looking like he wanted to bolt, but he remained in place.

"What's going on Mike?" I asked him in a whisper.

"Nothing for you to worry about." He replied absent-mindedly. "You should probably head home, it's almost ten."

'E' looked amused as he threw his fries in his mouth, he had long dexterous fingers and I wanted to lick the salt off them. I was hot and bothered as I watched him eat, his tongue poking out every now and then to lick his lips had me mesmerised.

"You have a car Princess?" He asked as he finished his mouthful and grabbed Alice's forgotten milkshake. He sucked on the straw and I almost lost the power of speech.

"No, I can walk, it's not far, and it's not like there's anything dangerous lurking in Forks." I told him.

"Newt?" he asked, quirking a rather perfect eyebrow.

"Um yeah, see you tomorrow." He shifted in his seat and looked uncomfortable.

"Motherfucker!" 'E' exclaimed loudly, making me jump and drawing attention to our table before everyone looked away hastily when they saw the expression on his face. "You going to let your woman walk home alone Newt?" he asked incredulously, before turning to me, he ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "Princess, please tell me you're not blowing this dude, because, fuck! You could do so much better."

I couldn't help laughing. Mike glared at me.

"Me and Newt need to take a little ride anyway, I'll take you home. Let's go." 'E' stood up from the table.

"But, you just got food." I stuttered.

He shrugged and reached into the back pocket of his jeans and pulled out his wallet. He threw a twenty down on the table. "Let's go." He repeated more firmly.

Mike stood up like a robot, seemingly resigned to doing whatever it was that was asked of him. We followed 'E' out of the diner and over to a smart looking car. I had no idea what it was but it looked brand new. He opened the passenger side door and helped me in, while I swooned. Mike let himself in the back as 'E' got into the driver's seat.

"Where to?"

I gave him directions and he drove fast with one hand on the wheel, I glanced over my shoulder at Mike, who looked sick as a dog. 'E' pulled up in front of my house and stopped the car. He got out and opened my door. He walked me to my house. Mike never moved from his position in the back seat, he barely even said goodbye. I got out my keys and let myself in, turning once I was in the doorway.

"Thanks for the lift."

"No problem Princess." He smiled.

"What's your name?" I blurted out because I was sick of calling him 'E' in my head.

He hesitated for a good long while and I thought he wasn't going to tell me, but eventually he answered "Edward." Then he turned around and walked back to his car, he didn't ask my name, which was fine by me, he could call me Princess for as long as he wanted.

"Bye Edward." I called.

"Night Princess, sweet dreams." He smiled and winked before getting in his car and speeding out of the street.

I went to bed that night, thinking of 'E' or Edward as I now knew him to be called, he was without a doubt the hottest guy I'd ever laid eyes on, he was obviously involved in something shifty, but then so apparently was Mike. I still didn't know what, but I'm sure it wasn't that big a deal. I fell asleep shortly after my dad got home, and dreamt of green eyes, bronze hair and a velvet voice calling me Princess.

I didn't hear from Mike all weekend which was unusual but didn't overly concern me. I caught up on my homework and the laundry. I spent Sunday with Jake and only just resisted the urge to ask what he knew about anyone called Edward, Alice or Jasper. They were like enigmas to me. Mysterious beings that had turned up out of nowhere, and I wasn't sure that I'd ever see them again.

Monday morning, my dad drove me to school, which was hugely embarrassing, but he insisted, when Mike didn't turn up. Jessica rushed over as soon as I slammed the door to the police cruiser.

"You met Cullen?" she gushed.

"Huh?" I had no idea what she was talking about.

"Cullen, Mike said he was at the diner Friday. I heard he's hot, is he hot? Mike looks like shit, but that's what you get for messing with Cullen. I don't know why he didn't just pay up. I mean, no one fucks with Cullen, not if they know what's good for them. What the hell was Mike thinking. I didn't even know he knew him. Hardly anyone knows him. Mike never mentioned it, idiot." She rolled her eyes.

I was lost, Jessica had a tendency to talk too fast and expect others to keep up.

"Who's Cullen?" I asked.

"E" she looked at me like I was simple.

"Edward?"

"Is that what it stands for? I don't know, he's just known as 'E'"

"So he's Edward Cullen?" I asked, glad to have a full name so I could see what Jake knew about him.

"Apparently, although no one ever called him Edward before. Did you speak to him?"

"A little, I guess, he just took me home." I shrugged.

"You rode in his car. What was it?" Jess was almost panting.

"Um, silver."

"God, you're useless Bella." She huffed and walked away from me. I turned my nose up at her and mentally gave her the finger. I went to class and only saw Mike when it was lunchtime. Jessica wasn't lying when she said he looked bad. He had a badly swollen face and two black eyes.

"God, Mike are you ok?" I asked when he sat down for lunch.

"I'm fine Bella." He replied tersely.

"What's wrong? Did Edward do this?"

"Edward? Figures." He scowled at me, so I decided to stop talking to him, if he wanted to be an ass that was his lookout.

All the boys were talking at Mike and he actually looked like he was enjoying the attention, so I turned to Angela and had an intelligent conversation about the English homework we had gotten.

After lunch Mike apologised and I shrugged it off. He kissed my cheek sweetly and told me to meet him after school so he could take me home. I agreed, because I needed a ride.

My mind wandered all through afternoon classes. Wondering if it was really Edward who had caused the damage to Mike's face and if so why. I was totally caught up in the mystery that was 'E', otherwise known as Edward Cullen.

I stopped at my locker after school and left the majority of my books there. When I got outside I had to push through a crowd that was huddled in the car park, only to find Mike being held against a wall by the largest person I had ever seen.

"Princess?" I turned to see Edward leaning casually against his car.

"Edward, what are you doing here? What are you doing to Mike?"

"I'm clearly not doing anything to Mike." He held out his arms in a display of innocence.

"You telling me you don't know the big guy over there?" I said disbelievingly.

"I know him." He admitted.

"Hey." Jessica called out, coming over with Lauren following. "What's going on?"

"I don't know, ask him." I pointed to Edward.

"Hi" Jessica said breathlessly.

"You gonna introduce me to your friends, Princess?"

"Jess, Lauren, this is Edw…,um 'E'" I don't know why I didn't introduce him as Edward, that seemed too personal, people knew him as E.

"Ladies." He said, and they both giggled.

"Can you stop the incredible hulk from beating up Mike?" I asked, seeing as no one else seemed all that concerned with Mike's fate. Jessica and Lauren were too busy whispering and batting their eyelashes at Edward.

"I can." He nodded and then did nothing but stare at me with a smile on his face.

"Well go on then." I gestured for him to get on with it.

"You asked if I could, not if I was going to." He smirked, and I huffed and rolled my eyes. "Fine." He conceded grudgingly.

Edward put his fingers in his mouth and whistled loudly. The big guy looked around and Edward simply jerked his head, huge dude instantly dropped Mike to the ground and strolled over to us, the crowd parting to let him through. I was stunned by the control Edward seemed to have.

"Come on E, I was only just getting started." The big guy actually pouted.

"Princess here wants us to let him alone, so let's go." Edward winked at me and got in his car.

Big guy looked me over. He tilted his head and stared at me questioningly. Then he grinned at me and his whole face softened. He had cute dimples that made him look far more friendly than he had appeared minutes earlier.

I glanced around and watched Mike being helped up by Eric and Tyler, he was scowling in my direction, I don't know what his problem with me was today, but it was grating on my nerves.

Jessica and Lauren were looking between me and huge dude like they were watching a tennis match.

"You coming?" he asked, nodding his head at Edward's car and smiling widely at me, his eyes alight with mischief.

I looked at my friends who were gaping, then back to Mike who was glaring, and finally I looked at Edward who had started his car and was revving the engine, seemingly unaware of everyone around him. It wasn't a difficult decision.

"Sure." I said, and before I knew what was happening, big guy picked me up and threw me into the back of Edward's car, he ran around and jumped into the passenger seat and didn't even have the door shut when Edward took off out of the parking lot like his ass was on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment